Skip to main content

Borrowing from the Boys

A famous movie star from the mid-20th century once said that the people who asked her why she never wore a dress inevitably were the type of people who never needed to wear one themselves (i.e., men).  She wore men's pants and men's shirts.  She was tall and thin and those cuts of clothing hung very well on her.  If I am remembering correctly, she even won a fashion award at some point for her distinctly masculine, yet female, style.

There is a category of women's wear called "menswear," but I'm not thinking about that, though I like the idea of tweeds, elbow patches, trouser-style pants, etc.  I am talking about actual men's clothes.

A few years ago, I was shopping at the local Target for various things.  I had all but given up on women's jeans - the stretchy stuff was too hot and I felt like it was too binding.  Being a less-than-youthful person, I wasn't sure that "jeggings" were something I wanted to wear outside my home, either.  I didn't care that much what people thought - but I felt, and still feel, that if your clothes aren't comfortable, then why bother with them?

As I said, I was picking up this or that thing, and my husband asked me to pick him up a pair of jeans.  He did not need to try anything on.  When it comes to men's jeans, the waist and inseam are enough to ensure a proper fit (as long as I didn't opt for a really slim cut - he's approximately as old as I am).  This particular brand (I am not going to mention specific brands of anything in this blog unless someone pays me) had put out a series of advertisements touting the fact that the crotch seam of their jeans was curved, not straight, as in some other brands.  This intrigued me.  As someone who makes most of her clothes, including, after a lot of trial and error, pants, I knew that the curved crotch seam thing was exactly how I made my pants.  So, looking at $16.95 jeans at Target, I picked out a pair in my waist size and trotted to the fitting room.

Yeah, they were a little stiff, just like the classic jeans of yore.  You remember - the ones that started out sort of cardboardy and dark blue, that faded and softened over time as you wore them on all of your adventures.  Jeans weren't just jeans when I was a kid - they told stories - everything from that time you and your boyfriend had a terrible fight over college choices, or your dad taught you how to change a tire in the rain.  Or, in my case, having an awful laboring job that covered me in dirt and grease so that, at the end of the week, my mom joked that she didn't know whether to wash my jeans or boil them for soup.  I'm not kidding.

They fit.  And I could move in them.  I bought them.  Two pairs, in fact.

A few weeks later, I was wearing said jeans, and a friend of mine remarked, "Have you lost weight?"

"Yes," I said.  "yes I have."

--------------------

Here's the thing about men's clothes: they are better-made, last longer, and have nice, deep pockets.  Men's jackets have inside pockets (sometimes more than one) so you can stash your wallet, your phone - whatever you might need, and the outside of the garment looks and hangs just the same.   Men's dress pants have a larger back seam that can be taken in or let out slightly if your size changes. How about that?  Longevity built in.  Don't get me started about men's underwear, except to say that men's underwear ads emphasize comfort.  Enough said.

Needless to say, in making similar pieces for myself, I have to make some allowances for anatomical differences, but the principle is the same.  Long-wearing stuff with adequate pockets - emphasis on comfort and quality.

Which is why this blog will be a lot about accessories.  When clothes last longer, you need to dress 'em up a little.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I was always a maker

Since I was a little kid, I was always a maker. Except for my mom, who tended more to the practical (as in volunteering to help people and being a patient advocate), my brother, two sisters and I grew up drawing, painting and making things. My brother built models (some of which he designed himself) and messed around in my dad's wood shop (which I envied him for - I have not, to this day, learned my way around a wood shop). My dad grew up poor in Scranton PA, and made his own toys as a kid. As a grown up, he would spend his evening hours in the basement, running power tools. He made toys, book shelves and other things, and, as a grandfather, became a virtual Santa's workshop every Christmas. Eventually, our coloring books gave way to sketch books. My older sister drew big-eyed girls; I tended towards sunbursts and more abstract designs; my other sister, being the youngest, sort of trailed along and came into her own in creativity later. I remember my sisters and I sitt